Monday, August 29, 2005

juice and gyros

The return of a pregnancy to our home has also brought the return of the cravings. Beth didn’t have the “peanut butter and pickles” type of strange cravings while pregnant with Natasha, but she did crave two things a bit more than normal. Those two things were fruit juice and gyros. Fruit juice was a hot commodity in our house during the first pregnancy and it has returned.

This time around, Beth was hoping to find some light fruit juices (as in fewer calories). Her doctor has asked her to steer clear of NutraSweet, but has said that as long as she limits her intake, Splenda is okay. The first light juice she tried was a white grape and peach juice cocktail. She couldn’t drink it. The peach juice was too much for her to stomach. I loved it. I usually hate artificially sweetened drinks, but it tasted great.

She has since discovered the Ocean Spray has some light cranberry juice cocktails. Right now we have light cran-grape and light cran-raspberry. I hate both of these, but I think it’s the cranberry that turns me off. I always enjoyed cran-apple, but these two taste bad to me. What really matters though is that Beth likes both.


The other craving is one I enjoy as much as Beth. Gyros are an interesting craving, but I love a good pita sandwich, so I won’t complain. This past Saturday we drove to the South Side to Mike and Tony’s gyro shop. Personally, I think they have the best in town. As we approached the store, we noticed that in the block next door (about 3 doors down) a new gyro shop had opened up. Mike and Tony’s isn’t the nicest place as far as looks are concerned, but the gyros taste good. This new place was bright and clean, but empty inside. Mike and Tony’s was as busy as ever (and mind you, it was about 2:30 when we stopped in; hardly lunchtime). Best part, it was as tasty as ever too. Here’s looking forward to more trips to the South Side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home