Thursday, July 07, 2005

field of dreams

I finally got to the place I’ve always dreamed of visiting. You see, since about the fifth grade, I have been a Yankees fan. It all started with a Don Mattingly Topps rookie card that was worth about $27. It was about the most expensive card I ever had, and I won it trading cards with a friend by “flipping”. My card landed face-up on a pile of cards and one of those in the pile was the Mattingly rookie card. When I found out the value of the card, I asked him if he wanted it back. He said he already had one and that I won it fair-and-square. So began my love affair with Don Mattingly and the New York Yankees.

I know the Yankees are a tough team for a lot of people to love. Steinbrenner is a jerk and most people hate a team that has dominated the baseball world. The Yanks had an awesome stretch in the late 90’s into the early 21st century, and they had many championships in the 40’s-50’s too. But during Donnie Baseball’s stint at first base, the Yankees were not all that good. I remember walking down the beach at Ocean City wearing my Yankee cap and some guy asking “What, you’re still a Yankees fan?” Mattingly retired in 1995 and the next year, the Yankees won their first World Series since 1978.

Earlier this week, I finally made it to the House That Ruth Built. My roommate from college got married on Sunday in New Jersey and on Monday we made the trip into NYC. It was a trip decades in the making. I’ve been to NYC twice before, but the closest I had ever come to Yankee Stadium was seeing it at night from the Empire State Building.

We rode the D train Uptown to the Bronx. When we arrived at the 161st Street station I was excited. I was practically running. We stepped out into the sun and there it was....and from outside it looked like crap. It was hardly distinguishable as a stadium. We entered Gate 2 and I thought it would get better.

Not at first. The stadium is over 80 years old and it shows. I had heard many people complain that Yankee Stadium is not that great a ballpark, and I now know why. The concourses are narrow, the concession stands are few and far between, and the lines are long. We began to make it toward our seats. The stands are not great either. It reminded me of old Three Rivers Stadium... steep stairs, narrow rows, and small seats.

Once I got seated and was able to really take a look around, all these detractions were blown aside. Seeing the expanse of green in person was so worth it all. This is, after all, YANKEE STADIUM. What the stadium lacks in facilities is more than redeemed in its personality. This is quite possibly the best place to watch a baseball game. There is so much electricity in the air and the fans are so into the game. These people are here to support their team, or criticize them at any miscue.

(For a Pittsburgher, I compare this to a Steelers game. Everyone is totally behind the team, but as soon as the QB throws an INT or two, the boo-birds come out. Same concept here.)

Overall, I wasn’t disappointed. It wasn’t exactly what I expected, but I finally made a dream come true. I saw the Yankees play a game at Yankee stadium (I thought I was in heaven two summers ago when I saw the Yankees beat the Indians at the Jake in Cleveland). Better yet, I went to a game they won.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home