Thursday, June 09, 2005

count your blessings

There’s a guy that I know with who is a little older than I am. His wife is a little older than mine. I always thought they were the type of couple who didn’t want or couldn’t have children. He would ask about my daughter and I would relay stories of my daughter's latest “tricks”. About a month ago, he told me he and his wife were expecting a baby girl in late September.

He was pretty excited. I asked him if he was readying a nursery and he said they were indeed. He joked that he’d probably have some first time father and father-daughter questions for me as time went on.

Then, around Memorial Day, I heard some unpleasant news. His wife had developed pre-eclampsia and the only way to save her would be to deliver the baby. The baby was only about 24 weeks along. She had to be delivered via Ceasarian. The baby is touch and go, one day at a time. Her Mom and Dad have been practically living at the NICU of the hospital. So far, she’s fighting and I can only pray that she continues to do so.


Another couple I know is expecting their second baby. Their first is about 7, and they’ve been trying for a second for a while now, but they’ve had a couple of miscarriages. The last couple of days, Mom had been experiencing some severe lower back pain and today, she had some cramping.

She got herself to her doctor’s and the baby is fine. Mom might have kidney stones, but the test results for that won’t be in until early next week. I’ve been praying for them since I found out she’s been trying and kept miscarrying. I think her nerves are shot about now, but a little rest should be a big help.

When you are expecting a baby, you have all of these fears that you never had before. Will the baby be okay? Will she have 10 fingers and toes? Do we need to worry about Down’s? Did her ears develop okay or will she be deaf?

It doesn’t get any better after they are born healthy. Autism doesn’t start to show signs until around age 2. I constantly worry she might choke on food. Most bumps and bruises are minor, but I’m still fearful she might really fall and really get hurt.


The odds are greater for a healthy baby than one that’s not, but that never eases my mind. Everyday I thank God she’s healthy. In 377 days, I’ve never once taken my daughter for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home