Thursday, October 27, 2005

snack attack

I usually don’t mind the vending machines here on my floor at work. Sure, they are overpriced compared to Wal-Mart of Giant Eagle, but it’s convenient. Besides, the prices are better than the “rip-off store” in the upper lobby of the building.

I’ve had a few lucky encounters with the machines. On a few occasions I’ve place change in the Pepsi machine (which mysteriously stocks Diet Coke...that has to be a violation of PepsiCo policy) only to have it returned to me. However, when I pressed the Pepsi button, I received a can of Pepsi; free of charge!

Also, the snack machine shows that the snack in B-9 is 80¢. However, if you press B-9, the digital display is only 50¢. Lately I’ve been getting
Potato Skins for a 37.5% discount. Yes, I am a cheap bastard.

Today however, the machine turned the tables on me. It ripped me off. I wanted a Snickers bar in the worst way. It wasn’t that
I trying to put out a fire in the office. I just wanted some chocolate. The candy bars in the machine are 70¢. I fed the machine a dollar. It was a fairly crisp bill, so the machine took it, no problem. No problem, that is until I tried to make a selection. The machine beeped at me and indicated that I needed to deposit 70¢. It should have dropped a quarter and a nickel into the change slot and spit out my Snickers bar. I tried another selection. Same result. A third selection; no food, no change. Then I pushed the coin return button. What a useless button. No change. My dollar didn’t come back out and four quarters did not drop into the change return.

Did I throw in the towel? Not me. I wasn’t yet ready to quit. I really wanted a candy bar, dammit. I tried to feed the blasted machine another dollar. Do you believe the nerve of the machine? It wouldn’t take it. I would have kicked it, but someone else had come into the vending area and I didn’t want to make a scene. I ended up walking down to the “rip-off store” in the lobby. The stupid candy bar ended up costing me 85¢.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thad said...

$1.85 if you count the buck you lost in the machine... sorry, I didn't mean to upset you further.

9:10 PM  
Blogger jayman said...

I was hoping I'd get a refund. There's an e-mail address on the machine that I e-mailed. Usually, they send the cash in the interoffice mail. So far, no dollar.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Matt, that's $1.85 bro

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home